Friday, April 30, 2004
Bye Bye April
Tomorrow is May. What happened to the month of April? I feel like it pretty much disappeared....melted away. Here's some of the things I'd like to do this weekend:
- Try for the third weekend in a row to find Lucy her ever-elusive pal. We tried a few - but still no matches
- Finish painting the computer room and put the furniture back in its places. Didn't get to it. But, JP did get the lawn mowed and steam cleaned part of the house.
- Go see a movie. I didn't go see any, but I watched "The Groove Tube" on DVD.
- Read. I re-started the fifth Harry Potter book....I'm about 100 pages into now.
- File all my important papers that have been stacking up for three months. Filed! After starting, I realized it's been more than three months. I hadn't filed my bills since November!
- Workout - shooting for twice, I'd be happy with once. Worked out once on Saturday.
- Eat healthy. Mostly.
- Hang out with some friends. Saturday night, game night...had a lot of fun....so much fun no one realized it was 3am.
- Maybe post some new pics to my Web site. Didn't get around to it, maybe this week.
Ahhh....so many goals...and I'll probably spend a lot of time watching TV instead. :-)
Thursday, April 29, 2004
I know it's been on forever, but this show still makes me laugh out loud. Even if the show is not all-together funny at least one joke in it will make me guffaw. Last night it was a good show all-around, but the "Uh-uh" made me laugh and so did the "They took our jobs." I'm pretty sure that if I hung out with Trey Parker and Matt Stone for even an hour I would pee my pants from laughing too hard.
Wednesday, April 28, 2004
What I've Been up to
The lawn is starting to look better. The other day, Jon-Paul got back from walking Lucy and said, "We're not the *worst* lawn in the neighborhood, but we'd definitely make the list of Top Ten Worst Lawns." So, we went and bought some trusty old Revive and Jon-Paul has been putting it down every couple of days. We've also watered a couple of times and it's looking better. So I think maybe we've dropped out of the Top 10 Worst into the Top 20. It needs to be mowed pretty soon too. Maybe that will help.
Jessica started going to hot yoga. (Bikram) She seemed to really like it. So, one day when I was shopping for a chip and dip tray at Ross, I picked up a $5 yoga DVD by a lady named Marlon Braccia
. It was a beginner's tape and I don't think it's anything compared to what Jessica had been doing in her real-live classes. But, I gave it a try. And you know what? After doing it about 4 times now, I am waaaaaay more flexible than I used to be and I was already pretty flexible. It's amazing what all that stretching and posing can do. I know I'm late to jump on this bandwagon, but it really makes you feel better. I'm not into the spiritual part of it, but the strengthening and breathing and stretching really calm you and actually make you break a sweat. Jon-paul tried it once and he is psyched to do it again. I think it will help improve my physical fitness and I'm excited to see what it does.
I get a free subscription to Bicycling magazine and I usually recycle it before I ever get around to reading it. But I was flipping through one the other day (as I was going through the pile of magazines for recycling - ha ha) and it made me want to try to ride more this season. I'll make it a goal. Heck, if I ride even once, it will be more than last season.
I need to read more books. I love when I'm reading a lot, but it's so hard to find the time. I need to make the time.
I need to go on a vacation sometime soon. We haven't been on one since June 2000. That's a long time.
Monday, April 26, 2004
Things I did this weekend:
- Tried to find Lucy a buddy. (No luck! The volunteer even said that Lucy was a great dog and can't figure out why it's so hard to find her a match.)
- Went to dinner on Saturday night and saw the motley-est crew of prom-goers EVER! I remember when girls used to dress up and look pretty...not scary.
- Ran the Cherry Creek Sneak for the seventh year in a row on Sunday.
- Painted all the walls in the computer room red. (They still need a second coat.)
- Went out to dinner again, and ate a lot, including a killer piece of chocolate cake.
- Watched The Sopranos and Alias. Alias just keeps getting better and better.
Friday, April 23, 2004
[courtesy of fridayfive.org]
1. Have you ever had braces? Any other teeth trauma?
Yes, I had braces for 5 years, 3 months, and 10 days. (not that I counted) I have had four oral surgeries and 15 teeth pulled.
2. Ever broken any bones?
I popped a ligament in my foot and had a hairline fracture. It was bad enough that I had to wear a cast.
3. Ever had stitches?
I've only had stitches in my mouth after the above oral surgeries.
4. What are the stories behind some of your [physical] scars?
Lots of falling down, tomboy stuff. Falling off my bike. Chicken pox. The year the dog had fleas. Shaving accidents, ingrown hairs. You know all that kind of fun stuff.
5. How do you plan to spend your weekend?
Getting a dog for Lucy (hopefully I actually go through with it this weekend) and continue to paint the computer room red.
Stupid snow. Why is it snowing on April 23rd? :-)
Thursday, April 22, 2004
Happy Earth Day!
Tuesday, April 20, 2004
On Saturday, we came thisclose
to getting a second dog, a companion for Lucy. We went to the Boulder Humane Society
and I loved it. Their facility is awesome and I thought the employees were fantastic. We tried Lucy out with three dogs, one of them seemed to be a fairly good match, but he had just been fixed and had stitches. I didn't want to have to deal with Lucy riling him up while he was healing, so we decided not to take him just yet. We're thinking that if he's still there next weekend, all healed and ready to go, we'll take him.
Monday, April 19, 2004
Took the Heirloom Red Plunge
I did it. I worked up the courage (and the motivation) to paint one of my walls a deep red. I decided to take my first stab in the small room where we keep the computer. We're nowhere near being done, but one whole wall is a deep red. A color that we got at Lowe's called "Heirloom Red." I really really like it. Except, I don't have much experience at painting walls, especially textured ones. So, it's not completely even - but I'm sure I'll even it out. I do know what not
to do when I start on the other walls now. :-) It is a really cool red and I'm psyched I finally did it. I've wanted to paint at least one wall red for about 8 months now. Now, I just can't wait until it's done. It's a small room - but, man, painting is hard.
Friday, April 16, 2004
[courtesy of fridayfive.org]
1. What do you do for a living?
I work with Web-based stuff. Web sites, intranet, Knowledge Base.
2. What do you like most about your job?
Learning new technologies and figuring stuff out.
3. What do you like least about your job?
Getting stuck on an issue.
4. When you have a bad day at work it's usually because _____...
Something isn't working properly.
5. What other career(s) are you interested in?
Taking care of puppies!
Wednesday, April 14, 2004
HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE BRUCE!!
Hope you have a Happy Happy Day!
Tuesday, April 13, 2004
I attended Opening Day yesterday at Coors Field. The weather could have been a little warmer, but it was fun anyway. The Rockies won *and* the Nuggets are going to the playoffs so it was a good day for Denver sports teams. It had been quite a while since I'd been downtown during a workday. It was a nice change.
Sunday, April 11, 2004
Hope everyone had a good one! I missed spending Easter with Mom and Dad.
Saturday, April 10, 2004
Congratulations Amy and John -- Welcome Emma Michael!
Amy had Emma today! Yay! Both are doing well and I'm so happy for her and John.
Friday, April 09, 2004
I am currently enjoying this
I have an itch to paint at least one wall in my house. I really want to paint one of the walls a deep red. I just don't know which one. Then, I think about painting the guest room - but don't know what color. It's just that all of our walls are so white. And whenever I see someone else who has a painted room, I think "Ooooo, I want to do that." (Especially if it's a burnt red.)
Wednesday, April 07, 2004
Funny Funny Funny
We got the "Saturday Night Live - The Best of Will Ferrell" DVD yesterday and it's great. I watched it last night. I think one of the funniest skits ever is the cowbell one. It's funny - it took me a while to warm up to Will Ferrell, but now I just think he is a comic genius - hilarious.
Tuesday, April 06, 2004
There are layoff rumors at Qwest again. Poor JP has been through this about 18 times now. I hope it works out for the best.
Sunday, April 04, 2004
I set a goal (albeit a simple one) and achieved it. I saw "Walking Tall." I liked it.
Friday, April 02, 2004
It's been a while...
It's been a while since I've gone to the movies, so I decided that this weekend, that's exactly what I'll do. It's not that anything that I *really* want to see or anything has come out, it's just that I feel like going. I'll probably see "Walking Tall" or "Hellboy."
Thursday, April 01, 2004
Yay! It's April, we're slowing saying goodbye to winter and hello to summer. :-) Oh! Happy April Fool's Day. Check out this little e-card
that has been making the rounds.