Tuesday, August 31, 2004
I Have the Coolest Mom Ever
It's not like I take my Mom for granted, but sometimes I am blown away by how amazing she is. I wish I could be as generous, strong, smart, beautiful, genuine, wise, giggly, confident, caring, talented and downright awesome as she is. Mom gives off the most amazing vibe and everyone around her is affected by her love and generosity. I truly strive to be just like her.
Monday, August 30, 2004
Five Happy Things
1. Jack 105.5 keeps playing Styx songs I haven't heard in years
2. What you think will be difficult, turns out to be pretty easy
3. Summer Thunderstorms
4. The word "asswipe"
5. Falafel balls
Saturday, August 28, 2004
I Love Lucy
Even though she gave me a huge blister on my lower lip last night, (by knocking into my teeth with her head) I still love my little girlie. :-)
Friday, August 27, 2004
I was reading this article
on forbes.com and saw that both Denver and Portland were listed as two of the "Bohemian Bargains." When we were looking for a place to live back in 1997, we had to make a choice between Portland and Denver. And, although Portland had the ocean and the mountains going for it, something made me choose land-locked Denver. Something about it just *felt* right, and I went with my gut. Seven years later, I couldn't be happier with my decision.
And that got me thinking about all the choices I've made while living here. Everything that led me to where I am today. I wouldn't change a thing. I have always had many wonderful things and wonderful people in my life. But now, I have so many amazing/wonderful/beautiful people in my life because of my move to Colorado. These people have helped me grow into a person that I never thought I could be. I am stronger, more independent, more outgoing and becoming less afraid to love.
And this love includes trust, faith, understanding, and need. Everyone has been burned and everyone has baggage from past experiences. But, it's this baggage that enables us to make more informed decisions because we know ourselves better with each mistake or success we experience. I admit, when I first moved here, I was afraid that I made a mistake. But, what I thought was fear, was probably just growth. Growth that I'd been going through my whole life, but had never really *felt* because I'd never grown at such an accelerated speed.
In no way shape or form am I perfect. I am far from it. I will be growing and changing for the rest of my life, but on some weird level, that article made me realize that by moving here, I have picked up some incredible lifelong friends for my journey.
Thursday, August 26, 2004
Saw this here
and decided to try it. Here are the directions:
Pick your birth month and cross out what doesn't apply to you.
. Ambitious and
. Loves to teach and be taught.
Always looking at people's flaws and weaknesses
Likes to criticize
. Hardworking and productive. Smart, neat and organized. Sensitive and has deep thoughts. Knows how to make others happy. Quiet unless excited or tensed. Rather reserved. Highly attentive. Resistant to illnesses but prone to colds. Romantic but has difficulties expressing love. Loves children. Loyal. Has great social abilities yet
and money cautious.
Wednesday, August 25, 2004
I've realized that my posts here haven't been very substantial. I've been really busy at work (well, busier than normal, which in itself is very busy). Monday, we went over to Amy and John's and they cooked up an awesome dinner that was all vegetarian in my honor. They also let us sample wines that they picked up in California last week. Emma is four months old now and looking different every time I see her. And her eyes - they're so blue. They are always fun to hang out with!
Yesterday we had the carpets cleaned and they look great. The spots are definitely less noticeable. While they were here, I went for a run. I haven't been on a run in quite a long while. I probably jog/ran for a good 45 minutes with about 15 minutes of walking. So an hour outside - that's pretty good for me, on a Tuesday. I also talked to Mom which is always awesome.
Today was an incredibly busy day at work. Then I came home and started to work out when Jason called and asked if I wanted a "real" workout. This real workout included carrying stuff up and down stairs to start them on their move. I have a feeling I'll be going up and down a lot of stairs in the next three days and honestly, I don't mind a bit. :-)
Now, I'm up way too late. And, I've been getting up earlier to beat all the school traffic in. So, my days are seeming even longer. It's going to be so very hard to get up tomorrow, but that's why I'm sitting here writing this -- trying to make myself sleepy. And I know this post isn't very substantial, but at least it looks long, right?
State of the Carpets
They look great, but Lucy is a skilled stain maker. So, there are still spots but it looks a lot lot lot lot better.
Tuesday, August 24, 2004
Dear Carpet Gods...
The Stanley Steemer dudes are coming today to clean my groady-to-the-max carpets. I ask you, oh dear carpet gods, to lift the stains, remove the odor and return my carpets to their like-new luster.
Sunday, August 22, 2004
Five Happy Things
1. Flip flops
2. Lying in the sun
3. Picturing Kirsten and Karie with kids!
4. Someone on your side
5. Having exact change
It's Sunday evening. I'm cleaning the house, putting stuff away, watching the Olympics, doing wash, baking chocolate chip cookies and my right eyeball is killing me. Not as much as it was before I took two Advil, but I can still feel it. It's been hurting for a couple of days now. Not exactly sure what I did, but I'm sure I strained it in some way and what I'm experiencing is probably muscle soreness - in my eye - ow! Yes, you read that right, it's August 22nd and I'm baking! Can you say mild summer?
Friday, August 20, 2004
And, lately, I've decided that I'm really glad my name is Heather. Thanks, Mom and Dad.
HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER HEATHER
I am a freak beyond words.
That's not a Post-It!
This morning I was getting ready for work and I grabbed a pair of jeans I haven't worn in a while. When I put them on, I felt something in the back pocket. I thought I had washed a post-it or something, but when I pulled it out it was a $20 bill. Oh Happy Day! :-)
Monday, August 16, 2004
Coors Light Mountain Jam
It was awesome. The weather was beautiful, the music was great and Kid Rock ROCKED!
Ramblings of a Goofball...
Do you ever get in one of those phases where you always want to be somewhere else? You know, you're physically somewhere, but in your mind you're in a whole other place. Constantly. It's very distracting. This must be what being an airhead feels like.
Friday, August 13, 2004
Kid Rock Tomorrow!
Tuesday, August 10, 2004
Five Happy Things
- Incriminating (in a good way) photos
- A dog who prefers organic people treats
- Cancelled meetings
- A really good batch of M&Ms
Monday, August 09, 2004
- Jon-Paul made it back safe and sound from his Massachusetts/Rhode Island trip and I had a fantastic weekend home alone. It's funny that you don't realize how you haven't heard your own voice in several hours until someone calls.
- I'm seriously considering consulting a surgeon about Lucy's tail. I can't make her live like this for 10 years or more. Poor puppy. And poor us...our house is splattered with blood everywhere and we get sore arms from scrubbing it off the textured walls. Every once in a while when I'm cleaning a particularly dense spot of Lucy's Jackson Pollack immitation, I think, "Damn! We should have painted the whole house red, not just the computer room."
- I know I already wrote a post about it, but I really did enjoy The Da Vinci Code.
- I stumbled upon "Eyes Wide Shut" on HBO last night. What a terrible movie. Terrible.
- "Entourage" on the other hand seems to be picking up speed each week. I've liked it since the first show, but I think it's finally getting stronger legs.
- I will see Kid Rock on Saturday! Whoo hoo!
- Bill Clinton is on "The Daily Show" tonight. That should be interesting.
Saturday, August 07, 2004
Cross it off the List
I finished The Da Vinci Code
today. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that Mom sent it to me. Now I'm wondering if I should finally conquer Cryptonomicon
by Neal Stephenson. I'm guessing yes....it's just been sitting on my shelf for too many years...I think I am now properly primed to read it.
Friday, August 06, 2004
Lucy Strikes Again
You know how when you say something positive about something that's been negative, you get that weird feeling that the luck may not continue? Well, the second I said, "Lucy's been good lately" I had a feeling that she might have overheard and thought, "oh no, I have been good...I only have a couple more months of official puppyhood...what should I do?" Yup, my precious little girl took it upon herself to make a nice big rip in the cushion of my other couch. Not the one that has been her loyal chew toy all these months, but the one that was untouched and still in great condition. Not so much anymore. I don't understand what possesses her to just take a bite out of the middle of seat cushion. It's not like she's chewing on the side of it. She makes a hole right in the middle (which can't be easy to start) and works from there. She was being so good...
Thursday, August 05, 2004
5 days into August...let's see how I'm doing...
- Be less needy -working on it...think I'm doing pretty well
- Eat less - not doing so well on this one...must stop eating so much...but love food too much
- Exercise more - again, not doing so well on this one either, but I have time
- Finish The Da Vinci Code - I'm about half of the way through (and I like it!)
- Find furniture for the guest bedroom - COMPLETE
- Find a couch for the den - COMPLETE
- Get the carpets cleaned - need to call and make appt.
- Clean the closets - perhaps this weekend, perhaps not.
- Neaten the garage - no progress what-so-ever
- Take more photos - I've taken a few, will take some more
- *Try* to see Mom and Dad - not sure this is possible, but will try.
- Focus more - I have most definitely improved here. More focus these past few days than in the past few months.
- Get tan - I tried to...got a little, need a lot more.
Tuesday, August 03, 2004
The 9/11 Commission Reports
I read the first chapter
of the 9/11 Commission Report. It's pretty creepy.
Monday, August 02, 2004
And, oh yeah, Happy August
Holy crap! It's August. Where is the summer going? Took some pics of Lucy in Cherry Creek Reservoir - hopefully I get those up sometime this week.
Stuff I did this weekend
- Bought this bed for the guest bedroom. (Won't arrive for 4-6 weeks.)
- Bought this sleeper for the computer room.
- Hung out at Cherry Creek on Saturday.
- Took a look at Jeff's new house. (it's really nice)
- Went to dinner with Amy, Deanne, Deann, Deedra, Donna and Deann.
- Went dancing with Deann and Donna.
- Slept waaaaay too late on Sunday.
- Tried that Kathy Smith workout again - nope, still don't like it.
- Read a few chapters of The Da Vinci Code.
- Played with LuLu.
- Jessica stopped by and hung out for a bit.